“Roughly 15 million people have their identities stolen every year in the United States, with each person loosing an average of $3,500.” This is very crazy and scary number of people. It makes me kind of not even want to put any of my personal information online when shopping or paying bills online. Because it is an huge chance that someone can steal it. With the holidays right around the corner, more and more people will be shopping online. Be very careful on what you put on certain websites! Make sure you take the proper steps necessary to protect your identity.
According to the article, that my fellow blogger posted on twitter that is shown above, there are 6 easy methods that can be used to protect your identity.
- Password Protection: Try to make a password that is unique! Easy passwords like 12345 or 1111 are easy for people to figure out if they are trying to break into an account.
- Choosing a Password: This method is just like the first method. Make sure that your password is unique. If you need another password for another site, try to switch the numbers up a little.
- Protecting your mail: If you have emails that contain any of your personal information like bank account numbers, try to delete them so that no one can get into your email and see that important information.
- Beware of “Charities”: Never give your personal information over the phone or on the internet to a company that you never heard of. This can be a scam to get free money from you or get your information.
- Public Wifi Networks: Never use public networks. That is the easiest way to get hacked.
- Disposing of Electronics: Erase all of your data from your old electronics before you throw it out or give it away.
Hopefully, you use these tips. As, Christmas is approaching this is the best time that scammers will try to scam you. Protect yourself the right way!